Seminars, meetings, webinars – check back frequently for exciting new events.
- This event has passed.
UBA Employer Webinar Series: What Employers Need to Know about HIPAA and HITECH
March 10, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm$200
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), its administrative simplification regulations, and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) provide administrative, privacy, and security standards for health plans and their business associates. The extent to which HIPAA applies to a health plan depends on the health plan’s structure. This webinar will help plan sponsors understand their responsibilities under HIPAA and HITECH.
This webinar will:
- Review the basics of HIPAA and HITECH
- Explain key terms
- Discuss the differences between protected health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII)
- Discuss different types of health plans to which HIPAA may apply
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to fully-insured plans (that use either a hands-on approach or a hands-off approach)
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to self-funded plans
- Discuss how an employer should handle PHI that is received due to Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) leave
- Discuss HIPAA considerations when an employer has remote workers
- Describe what a business associate agreement is and when it is required
- Describe the types of notices that are required under HIPAA
- Discuss whether notices can be provided electronically (via portal or email) and whether an acknowledgement of receipt is required
- Discuss the consequences of violating HIPAA/HITECH (including civil monetary penalties) and provide examples of enforcement activity against group health plans by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights.
- Describe best practices in administering plans to meet HIPAA/HITECH compliance
This webinar event has been submitted to the Human Resource Certification Institute and the Society for Human Resource Management to qualify for 1 recertification credit hour.
To register click HERE.
BenePro clients contact your account manager for a free or reduced registration code.